Sunday, August 1, 2010

the dog days are over!

I'm feeling slightly invincible tonight. Babysitting was awful, but I'm not even going to get into that, I've been in such a fantastic mood the last few days, and nothing would bring me down right now.

After my "Woe is meeeeee... I'm never going to a job and I'm going to be an old maid" rant the other day, I realized that I have a lot more going for me than I originally thought. Let's be honest. I've spent a large portion of my life selling myself short. When I think about getting married and starting a family, I feel like I'm being suffocated. But when I think about grad school, and leaving Ohio, I feel exhilarated. I've always had a sneaky suspicion that I'm meant to be more than some fat toad's housewife. And now, I know for sure that I am going to do awesome things with my life. I like a challenge. I'm a competitive person. Just ask anyone who figured skated with me. I want the best for myself because I work hard and I deserve it. I really don't know what got into me my senior year of college where I basically became a moist towelette. You could have walked up to that Christine and told her that the only thing she was good at was making other people happy while never thinking about herself. Well, no more of that crap! I'm looking out for number one!

Yes, the job market is pretty sucky. But I'm convinced that if I give it my all and I work hard, I'll be okay. For one thing, I really don't want to stay in Ohio. I'm not really sure that I want to stay in one place for a long time, but Ohio is just not a good place to be right now, both for me and for librarians-to-be. It's a good fit. I've applied for the job in Ravenna, and I'm crossing my fingers that I get it because otherwise I won't have money for food (which may be a good way to lose weight... if it worked once, it can work again!). Plus, I want the experience. The MLIS program has a practicum requirement for your last semester in the program, but that's it. So in addition to my hopeful library job, I really want to get an internship next summer. Ideally, I want that internship to be in Washington DC. I've loved DC since the first time I visited in the summer of 2001. I also have friends in the city now (*waves at Phil and Laura*) and I have my former roommate in Baltimore (*waves at Hollie*). I spent my afternoon yesterday Googling internships in DC for library sciences and there's more than I thought there would be. The one I'm really lusting after is for MLIS candidates who also have a background in music and would be interested in a career as a music librarian. Music librarian jobs are extremely rare, but if I have the internship experience under my belt, I would have a greater chance of being hired should an opening come along. It's completely perfect. Plus it would also be a great chance for me to experience life out of Ohio for a little bit. I'm so ridiculously excited at the prospect of spending next summer in DC, and I can't even apply for these internships until January! This really is the first thing that I'm doing to help myself in a long time. Everything has been for the benefit of other people, and I'm sick of living my life for the sake of other people's wishes. Now it's my turn.

~ Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment