Monday, August 16, 2010

we're all related to Kevin Bacon

It's been a few days. Sorry about that. I've had a busy few days. Katie left for Case Western yesterday, and Mom's up there now for Puggle's orientation. Yesterday was Dustin's going away party too. I know change is inevitable, but I really really hate it. I want all of my friends to stay in one spot forever. Except that I'm ready to get out of Columbus. I just hate thinking that when I come back, they might not all be here. 

Last Thursday was Katie's going away cookout with her friends. They discovered that Katie has a hidden talent. She has a knack for connection two seemingly unconnected actors and actresses through TV shows and movies. They would give her two random actors and she would find a way that they're connected. Apparently this is a family trait because I discovered I have a talent for it as well. For example, Katie's friends said to connect Paul Rudd (actually, they said Mike from Friends) and Pauley Perrette (again, they said Abby from NCIS). Katie found a long rambling pathway between the two, which managed to involve Two of a Kind and Covert Affairs, so props for that! But I found a much shorter pathway.

Paul Rudd played Mike Hannigan in "Friends":


Paul Rudd also starred in the movie I Love You Man, along with Rashida Jones:


Rashida Jones also played Karen on "The Office": (I don't know why this picture won't center)


Also on "The Office" was Melora Hardin, portraying Jan Levinson (Gould):


And on the fifth episode of NCIS (The Curse), Melora Hardin guest starred as former Petty Office Erin Toner:


Therefore linking her to Pauley Perrette!


So while I was bored at church the other day (in my defense, we had the priest who you can't understand because he's a million years old and doesn't speak into the microphone), I was pondering the age-old debacle: How many degrees of separation are there between myself and Kevin Bacon?

I'm not entirely sure where this whole "Six degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon" thing came from, but it's kind of entertaining. Apparently there's a game, a charity, and a website all related to this concept. To be fair, my sister's an actor, so this was really easy for me. But look at it this way, if you know me, just tack yourself to the end of the chain!

How I am Connected to Kevin Bacon:

This is my sister, actress superior!




In 2006, Katie was in the Broadway Across America production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (she was in the children's chorus). Starring in the role of Joseph was Patrick Cassidy:




Patrick Cassidy's mother is Shirley Jones, who played Marian the librarian in the 1962 movie version of The Music Man (one of my all-time favorites). During filming, Shirley Jones became pregnant with Patrick Cassidy:




Also starring in The Music Man was a young Ron Howard, who played Winthrop Paroo, Marian's younger brother (remember the kid with the lisp?):


Little Ronny Howard would go on to direct my absolute favorite movie ever, Apollo 13:



And of course, Kevin Bacon played the role of Jack Swigert in Apollo 13:



There you have it! I'm a mere five degrees away from Kevin Bacon. Isn't IMDB.com wonderful?

~ Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment