Wednesday, May 18, 2011

ms. fix-it

My surgery is over! According to my doctor, everything went well, and the procedure only took 30 minutes. I was pretty out of it for awhile on Friday afternoon, but by the evening I was starting to come out of my post-surgery fog. I did have to wear a lovely piece of gauze taped under my nose for two days to catch the bleeding. Saturday was a better day, other than being super hungry after not being able to eat until 3 PM on Friday. Brenda delivered me some tasty ice cream, and Katie brought me back some breadsticks from Graeter's.

On the other hand, Sunday was a nightmare. I woke up super early. I slept in our recliner on Friday and Saturday night because laying flat puts pressure on my sinuses. I stood up to sit down at the kitchen table to eat breakfast, and immediately felt dizzy. Nothing I did could make the feeling go away. I even tried sitting on our swing on our front porch to get some fresh air, but the air outside smelled like rotting meat to me. I wound up spending my morning alternating between vomiting and sleeping. Finally, my mom called the doctor shortly before lunch and he determined that the painkillers I was taking was what was causing me to be so sick. Of course, it took some time for it to get out of my system, but thankfully I was feeling less queasy by Sunday evening. Monday, I spent the day being very hungry, and unfortunately, in pain. Since I couldn't take codeine anymore, I'm now on a Tylenol/Motrin plan. So yay for not vomiting, but it's obviously not nearly as powerful. Plus, a couple of days after surgery, body aches are normal if you were put under using general anesthesia. But honestly, I would much rather have aches and pains than nausea and vomiting, so compared to Sunday, Monday was a million times better. Today hasn't been too bad. My body aches aren't nearly as strong, and I'm finally able to breathe more and more out of my nose. This is kind of gross, but I have to flush out my sinuses a couple times a day to get the blood clots out. For one thing, if they hang out in there too long, they can lead to infections, plus I can't breathe with them blocking my nostrils. It sounds silly, but it's the highlight of my day. The more I can flush out now, the fewer the doctor has to remove himself on Thursday at my follow-up appointment, which I've heard isn't exactly a pleasant experience. All in all, it was definitely worth it, and I'm really glad I had the surgery, but I hope I never have to do it again *knock on wood.*

~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment