Wednesday, March 17, 2010

oodles of babies!

My life never ceases to bore me these days! Let's rewind a bit: After I wrote that last entry, I had one of the worst sitting jobs ever. Still not as bad as the family that abused their cat and punched holes in their bedroom door, but it's up there. Actually, the kids weren't bad. It was their house! Absolute filth doesn't even begin to describe this place. And... weird. Their creepy uncle lurked in his car in the driveway, and the mom had facial stubble and was running a babysitting service out of their house... without telling me ahead of time that I'd be sitting for double the kids. All in all, they've been placed on my "Do Not Sit" list. I came home and for hours afterward, I had an urge to shower repeatedly. Grody.

My sit for last Tuesday ended up being cancelled, which was okay in my book because then I could watch NCIS when it airs (or close to it). Wednesday I didn't have anything line up. Last Thursday's sit was so much fun! They had two little girls and they had just gotten home from a Disney cruise! I was like, you are my people! They LOOOOOVED Disney! They had all of those plastic Disney princess sets where they come in a clear zippered case and they have a couple of different outfits. They had at least all of them, but I think they had multiples of certain sets. Oh, and we watched The Jungle Book 2, which wasn't too bad for a Disney sequel.

Friday's sit was another easy one. The girls were school age, and I waited at the house until they got off the bus. Their housekeeper was there for the beginning of the sit, and she pissed me off, but she left after about an hour. The girls went to a neighbor's house to play outside (because it was GORGEOUS!) and so the housekeeper and I chatted while she cleaned. When I told her I wanted to be a librarian, she laughed and said, "Why would anyone ever want to do that?" First of all, any other time that I tell people that's what I want to do, they say, "Oh, I know so-and-so who did that and loved it too!" So clearly there are other people who want to do that. Second, I JUST FUCKING TOLD YOU THAT I WANT TO DO THAT. Use an ounce of common sense, idiot. So I told her that I like books, and then she goes, "Oh, well that makes sense for you then." Right blondie, you've never cracked open a book because otherwise you wouldn't be 27 years old and cleaning houses. She did graduate from OU with a business degree, but she hated her business job. I do have a newly discovered respect for people with college degrees who have shitty jobs right now, but when you start to criticize my future plans after you just met me, I lose all respect.

Saturday's sit was another good one! The dad accidentally backed into my car when they were leaving and left a dent on my trunk, but other than that, it was super easy. The little boy was incredibly fun to play with, and he told me that I was a good woman because I'm good at catching things when he threw them at me. He went to bed at 9, and the parents were supposed to come home at 11:30, but they came home an hour early and then paid me double what they were supposed to (guilt...). They're also paying for my car to be fixed. It's really not a big dent, but my dad says it cold rust if I don't get it fixed, and I really need this car to last.

I don't remember Sunday. I know that's probably not a good thing, but I don't.

Monday, I drove to UD. Kent State STILL hadn't received my letter of recommendation from Dr. Reynolds as of Friday, so I drove over to UD on Monday to hand deliver a new form to him so he could resend it. They had granted me a teeny extension when I explained what happened. He mailed it at the beginning of March, and for some unknown reason, it just wasn't being delivered. But I was still under a time crunch. I still might not be eligible for an assistantship because you have to be accepted to the program by April 1st, so keep your fingers crossed! For awhile this past weekend, I wasn't even sure if I would be able to go to grad school. Lo and behold, when I got home Monday afternoon, I logged on the admissions page, and my letter from Reynolds had been received! So I drove for no reason, but I did get to have my extremely belated lunch with Jen, which was awesome. I really miss living with her. Sometimes I wonder how we were able to accomplish anything last year because we are both so chatty, especially around each other!

My sit yesterday was my favorite by far. I was greeted at the door by a Columbus cop. As it turns out, he and his wife are both cops, but she works for ODNR as a boat cop. Anyway, he works second shift, so he had to leave before the kids came home from school. The kids were so cute! It was like I was looking at copies of my brother and I 15 years ago. They go to Catholic school, live in a smallish house, and they are incredibly proud of their parents. It's funny, I think those two are the first people I've met who have a parent or parents who are police officers. I wrote about this for one of my college admissions essays, but growing up with a parent as a cop is a very different experience. I'm not quite sure what to compare it to, but I guess it's similar to having a military parent, but without all of the... I don't want to say exclusivity, because that's kinda negative, but it's the only word I can think of. When you have a military parent, you get labeled as an army brat, or whatever branch of service. A cop's kids don't have that. But in a lot of ways, it's very similar. Police officers and military both risk their lives every day to protect their country/state/city. And while you don't move around much (or at all) with a parent as a cop, there is a certain aspect of life that other people have a hard time understanding. Being a cop is so much more than a job, or even a career. It's like a lifestyle. If my dad wasn't a cop, we wouldn't have had to change our phone number when I was little because someone my dad arrested found us in the phone book, and called our house and threatened my mom. After that, we haven't been listed in the phone book. My family and I will never be called to serve as jurors on a case if we get called up for jury duty because in the eyes of the court, we are biased. And many of you know about my "Get Out of Jail Free" card. But that's just an added bonus.

It really is something that's hard to explain. But there's weird bond between cop's children that I haven't experienced, until yesterday. Those kids were so proud of their parents and it really was like looking in a mirror.

Anyway, today I have some shopping to do for my trip. We leave on Friday! I'm so excited... one week from today I'll be in NYC, chowing down on a Magnolia cupcake.

~Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment