Friday, July 30, 2010

run fast for your mother

I had a crack dream last night.

I was at my cousin Megan's wedding next summer, but she was having a pagan/Wiccan ceremony. Her dress was long sleeved and lacy, like the one that Julia Roberts wear to wedding number one in the movie Runaway Bride. I was there with Brenda, Jackie, and Liz, but before we were allowed to go to the wedding, we had to get on a charter bus that dropped us off at Watterson, where we had to leave all of our personal belongings locked up in the lockers by the old band room. Then we went to the wedding site (which in real life is the Park of Roses, which is about 5 minutes away from Watterson. Odd how my brain picked that up). The ceremony happened, I vaguely remember there being a lot of swords and Megan had to dual something, but I'm not really sure what. Then they had to jump over a broom or something (this was something I saw on an episode of Say Yes To The Dress) and they were married! To get to the reception site, which was near the Olentangy and Bethel Road area, we either had to walk, but I ended up with an old school bicycle with a basket on the front. In the basket, I put a little potted flower (a favor, I'm assuming) and the key to our locker at Watterson (which don't actually have keys). None of my friends ended up having a bike though. So they start walking through the Short North (for anyone who's not from Columbus, to get to the Bethel Road area from the Park of Roses, you would not go through the Short North at all... it's actually in the opposite direction). I begin biking and then I see an old family friend of mine with her family standing in line outside of a restaurant in the Short North (ironic because last night she tweeted about Betty's in the Short North) so I stop to say hi to them, but my friends don't hear that I'm stopping, and they keep walking. In reality, this wouldn't be a big deal because hello I have a bike. But in dreamland, somehow my friends are speed-walkers and as I leave my friend's family, I can't find any of my friends. So I start biking in the direction that I thought they would go, and I figure I would catch up with them. Then I have the brilliant idea to go back to Watterson and get my cell phone out of the lock up and call them to tell them to wait for me somewhere. I bike back to the old band room, and Mr. Kuhn is standing guard. I beg for him to let me in and I show him my key, and he agrees to let me get my cell phone since the wedding is over now. As I get my phone out of the locker, I realize that all of my friends' phones are in the locker too. I take my phone anyway, and I get back on the road, heading towards the mythical reception site. Along the way, I run into a couple of people from UD, and they're with people who I don't recognize, but I act in my dream like I know them (future people from KSU?) and we stop at a fast food place for something to drink because now I'm really lost and it's hot and I'm thirsty. So we just sit around and talk and laugh and I never catch up with my friends and I never make it to the reception. The End!

It doesn't seem terrifying as I'm re-reading this, but as it was happening last night, I was seriously panicking. In case you've never met me, I don't like change and there's a lot of change about to happen in my life, plus an anniversary of a very big change in my life. I'm starting to realize that the chances of me being in Ohio long term are slim to none because our asshole of a governor decided that libraries aren't that important. So not only are there fresh MLIS grads looking for jobs, there's MLIS grads from the last three years all looking for jobs, plus librarians with more experience who were let go at their previous jobs. And apparently all of these suckers have families and husbands and wives and crap and they all want to be in Ohio. So basically if I want a job the following things have to happen:

1. Leave Ohio forever.
2. Be single until I find a steady job.

I'm not exactly happy about either of these things. I love leaving Ohio, but just for trips. Permanently is a big deal to me. Almost all of my close friends from college have left Ohio now. It's just a simple truth that there aren't jobs here.

Anyway, this relates to my dream in the sense that I'm deathly afraid of losing my friends. Apparently I'm not worried about losing my UD friends. I'm not sure why. Maybe because we're all apart right now and even though in the past I've been separated from my friends from home, I've been spoiled-ish this summer by having all of us around in Columbus. I really don't know, but clearly something is bugging my subconscious.

Ugh, I'm getting freaked out re-reading this. New topic!

If anyone else has been in a music slump lately like I have (I've listed to "Bulletproof" by La Roux about a million times now, and it's wearing on my musical soul), I highly recommend the band Florence + The Machine. Their song "Dog Days Are Over" was featured on the first episode of Covert Affairs, and the rest of their album, "Lungs" is just as amazing. For anyone who watches Covert Affairs, it's the song towards the beginning of the episode when Annie jumps out of the plane. That song in particular really speaks to me. If you listen to the album, it's easy to see why it's called lungs... she's got a healthy set of them! It really does feel like I'm learning to breathe again when I listen to their music. It's exhilarating and freeing.

~ Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment