Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Where I've Been, or, How My Life Has Gone to The Birds

Yo. (I've taken to saying 'Yo' a lot. It's the new leaf in me.) Speaking of Yo, I just realized that I forgot to watch Chelsea Lately and it's currently 11:32. Damn.

I realize it's been a month since I've blogged. So I'm going to play catch-up.

1. I'm officially transferring to Kent SLIS Columbus for next year. Kent, Ohio has to be the most abysmal place I've been, and I've been to a lot of really lousy places, including a week in West Virginia where it rained every day and all of our activities were outside, resulting in playing the same four board games over and over. Kent was worse. I was miserable there, and after all of the work I did trying to figure out how to make myself happy after I broke up with Bill last year, I basically took four giant leaps backwards. Being at home has helped because I'm around people all of the time, but there's no way I can go back. As soon as I realized at the end of Christmas break that I would do anything in my power to avoid going back, I knew that it was over for Kent and me. To be perfectly honest, there's still a lot of things about me that I need to improve mentally, and I think that not having that much alone time day after day is going to help me. So, it's back to old Columbus town for me!

2. I have to have sinus surgery. I've been having issues with my sinuses since last summer, and it's gotten worse and worse as time has gone on. So after a slew of doctor's appointments, allergy medicines, decongestants, and nasal sprays, it was determined by a CT scan that I had a cyst on my maxillary sinus that was causing the headaches. Then I was referred to an ENT specialist who told me that in addition to the cyst, I also have a deviated septum (which I've assumed about myself for years) and my turbine sinuses aren't formed correctly. I'm having surgery to fix all three things at once sometime in May. With school being so chaotic, I can't afford to be out of commission for even one day, and recovery can take up to a week. I have a couple more months of suffering, but then I'll most likely be pain free, as long as I take care of my sinuses. Which means no more hookah or secondhand smoke. I try to avoid the smoke anyway since I was told years ago that I have an allergy to it, but the hookah thing makes me sad since that's a social thing for my friends here. I'm not taking any chances with this though. I know someone (who will remain nameless, at least on the interwebs) who has caused sinus pains and infections after their surgery by smoking after recovering. No thanks. The only surgery I've had was getting my wisdom teeth removed when I was 14, and from what I remember, I was in pain for a few days afterwards because the pain meds made me nauseated. I'd like to avoid having the same surgery twice, please!

The funny thing is that I'm really hoping they don't have to reshape my nose too much. I actually like the way my nose looks. It's distinctive, and it's a family trait! We all have the same nose (my mom used to, before her own sinus surgery in her early 20s) and it's really grown on me. My 13 year old self is probably kicking and screaming right now, but all of the hurtful things that people have said to me over the years about it (*ahem* shark fin) have only given me a solid reason to hate guys who are legitimate douchebags. Now that I think about it, the only people who have ever made fun of me for my nose have been guys. Wow. Where do I meet all of these assholes?

3. Speaking of my nose, I'm a baroness. For years, we've always heard that we're distantly related to some German nobility, but my mom and I couldn't remember the details. So we asked my grandma last week, and lo and behold, my great-grandma was a baroness. Apparently when my grandma and her brother were growing up, if they misbehaved, my Oma would threaten to tell the Baron on them. They assumed she was just messing with them, like how you tell kids to behave because Santa's watching (sorry if I burst any bubbles). After my Oma passed, away, my great-uncle Joe went through some of her papers, and discovered that when my Oma threatened to tell the Baron, she meant her father. So she was a baroness, and that makes all of her descendants either barons or baronesses. There's a different term for it in German, I think it's Freiherr for baron and Freiin for baronesses. Of course, there's no nobility in Germany anymore, so there aren't any privileges, other than bragging rights. The title just gets absorbed into my family name. Did you know that Jamie Lee Curtis is technically a baroness through marriage? This is even more awesome than the time I figured out that there are only five degrees of separation between myself and Kevin Bacon!

Oh right, I should probably explain why nose = baroness. It's pretty simple. My nose is known as the "Noe Nose." My Oma's maiden name was Noe, and all Noes have this nose. Nobility is pretty notorious for some intense inbreeding. Now that I know that our family has a history of nobility, it makes sense that somewhere along the line, there were some hinky things going on, and ta-da! We have a genetically dominant nose! It's also why if you take pictures of my great-grandma, my grandma, my mom and her sister, and myself and my sister, there are some frightening similarities. I've actually mistaken my mother for myself in pictures, that's how similar we look. I've been told by several family members that when I style my hair a certain way, I'm a dead ringer for my Oma. The downside to all of this is that we all have deviated septums, but hey, between a deviated septum and webbed toes, I'd rather have the funky sinuses.

4. My lappy is dead. It's complicated and I'm tired, so I don't want to go too far into details but it's been dying for several days. Today was the end for it. I ran a scan on Saturday and I have some corrupt Windows files, plus my hard drive has started to eat data (I suddenly gained 25 GB of free space without deleting anything), and this morning Windows refused to load. It's in the care of the Geek Squad guys, and I'm praying that they can fix it because I've already dropped almost $400 to back any data they can and to figure out what's wrong. If I need a new hard drive, that's going to be extra. I was pretty psyched about having a little extra money going into the Eastern trip this year, since I'm saving money by not driving an hour and a half once a week to see friends, and I don't have to buy groceries, but almost all of that extra money is gone now. Technically, it's not even my money, it's my student loan money! And of course I'm in all online classes this semester. Not having a computer is killing me. Luckily, my procrastination prevented me from starting on any of the assignments I have due this week before today, so I haven't lost anything of that nature. And my parents got a brand new computer on Friday, so that's what I've been working on all day (and where I'm writing this). I'm sure they'd like to be able to use their new computer some more, and I know my dad has work to do in transferring old files, but in the meantime I need to not flunk out of grad school.

I've spent entirely too long writing this, but after a month of not blogging, I had a lot of stuff bottled up! I have no idea when I'll be able to post again since my third class is starting on Monday and I'm struggling to stay on top of things with just two classes. Plus, I don't have a computer right now. OY!

~ Christine

P.S. Did you catch that I ended this entry with a palindrome of the word I started it with? Bam, I'm awesome. And sleepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment