Have you ever had a very special decoration for a holiday (let's go with Christmas since it's soon-ish) that was a family treasure? Okay, now pretend that one year you open up the box and the decoration has broken! Oh no! But only four or five pieces are broken, so maybe with a hot glue gun you can fix it? Plus, you HAVE to put it up because it was Gammy's favorite and now she's dead, so if you don't, her ghost will come and bop you over the head. So you glue the Christmas crap back together, but it never looks the same. You can totally see where the cracks are and perhaps there's some dried glue stuck in places where the gun got away from you. Ladies and gentlemen... I am the Christmas crap decoration.
![]() |
| You better put that POS decoration up, see? It was Gammy's favorite, see? |
The latest update on me is that I'm 100% sure that my body is teaming up against me. Over the weekend, I started to have a LOT of hip pain again, which I have periodically, but this was way worse than usual, and I typically don't have pain when I first wake up in the morning, but I have in the last couple of days. So there's that. Plus I now have pain in my knees. I have shitty knees already, thanks to skating, band, falling a lot, and genetics, but now that I'm lifting things (lightweight things like socks) correctly, I'm using my knees to support the weight instead of my back, which is what you're supposed to do, but now my knees hurt. Along with my back, and now my hip. What the actual fuck? It's like, by trying to fix one thing, two other things break? When I met with my physical therapist this morning, she told me (after some stretches for my hip) that she thinks what's happening is that because I've been working on not overarching the small of my back, one of the discs may have moved ever so slightly, and the some of the muscles near the bottom of your back connect to your hip. So all of those exercises I've been doing where I curve my back so that if I'm laying on my back, I sort of make "C" have been hurting my hip. Now I get to do things while laying on my stomach. YAY. Not. Basically I need to strengthen all fuck kinds of muscles. Everywhere. At this point, I'm starting to think that I might as well give up and hope that reincarnation actually exists and I'll get a better body the next time.
I have so many aches and pains all over now. Logic tells me that if I stick it out and strengthen my muscles, in the long run I will be better off, but for right now, this fucking sucks. I know that this is how workouts work. You start off okay, not great, but you make a little bit of progress, and then you fall down the well and Lassie doesn't notice and then it's up to you to get out of the well. And it takes three years. However, I don't want to be in a fucking well! I want to be able to sit on the couch without a pillow I'm borrowing from my 83 year old grandmother. I want to be able to walk without having to stick my hand into my back, or my hip, or my knees, to give them the support they need. And I want it now.
Basically, I feel the same way I did after my car accident a couple of years ago. If you've ever been in a car accident, you know what I'm talking about. Even if it's not a huge accident that results in a hospital visit, the first couple of days after an accident you feel like shit. Sort of like you were used for an ogre's game of hacky sack.
![]() |
| I didn't think a Google search for "ogre hacky sack" would come up with anything. But it did. |
The good news is that I asked the question I didn't want to hear the answer to: I asked my physical therapist if I should limit myself on any rides at WDW next week. Basically, she said to avoid things that have a quick turn in one direction and then the other because it makes it harder for my back muscles to figure out what the fuck is going on. Otherwise, she said to use my best judgment. So in the Disney parks, I think the only ride I can't do is Rock 'n Rollercoaster, which is a little sad because it's one of my favorites, but last year it gave me a headache, so that might not be such a big deal. I should be able to do Space Mountain because it's not as rough, and even though there are turns, it's a much slower ride and I know the track well enough to anticipate what will most likely happen next. My issue is going to be in Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure. (Isn't it always?) After last year, I already ruled out all of the Harry Potter rides, except for the Hippogriff coaster, which is basically like Big Thunder Mountain. Other than that, I'm really not sure. I got the Unofficial Guide to WDW out of the library, so hopefully I can get more detailed info on Universal rides there. I'm going to assume that almost any rollercoaster is out of the question, since Universal likes it rough. Again, not a big loss. I'm not a fan of Universal Studios in general, mostly because I have no experience with almost all of the movies there, except Harry Potter. So not riding things won't break my heart, although I'm expecting to be bored. At least I'll be able to hang out in Hogsmeade.
~ Christine


No comments:
Post a Comment